One of my favorite foods in the whole entire world are SCALLOPS! Who doesn’t love a perfectly seared scallop? When you’re doing a Whole30 and you’ve kind of hit that point where nothing sounds good to you…..make this dish! There are so many natural flavors that this will give your taste buds something decadent to get you through to the end. one of the most important parts of buying seafood is making sure you buy WILD CAUGHT. I will do a post on the importance of wild caught fish, but if you can fit it in your budget, it is worth it to buy wild caught and as local as possible.
This is a one pan meal that is delicious, quick, and easy cleanup.
Pan Seared Scallops
Step 1: First things first, cut the ends off of the asparagus. Add a little water to the cast iron skillet along with some olive olive. The water will help to steam and cook the asparagus. I prefer my vegetables with a lunch crunch so I only cook my until they turn bright green. Then I add a little salt and freshly chopped garlic and cook about 2 minutes longer. Once asparagus is done, I move to a plate to rest.
Step 2: I like to get my skillet to medium/high heat before I drop my scallops in. In order to keep the smoke down, I add about 2 tablespoons of ghee to the pan. I sear the scallops about 2-3 minutes on each side until nice and buttery brown.
Step 3: After scallops are cooked, I add the juice of 1 lemon and a little more ghee and olive oil to create a sauce to drizzle over scallops and asparagus.
In total this dinner for 2 took me about 15 minutes and was exactly what I needed on day 22 of the Whole30. Some times ya just need to feel a little fancy, am I right?
-1 bunch of asparagus
-3/4 lb Wild Caught Scallops
-2 cloves of freshly chopped garlic
-2 tablespoon of olive oil Olive Oil
-3 tablespoons of Ghee
-3 tablespoons of water
- Add water to cast iron skillet with a little olive oil, cut ends of asparagus off and add to skillet. Add salt and chopped garlic when asparagus starts to turn bright green. Once cooked move to a plate.
- Turn heat to medium/high and add 2 tablespoons of ghee. Once heated, add scallops and cook 2-3 minutes per side. Remove scallops
- Add 1 tablespoon of ghee, a drizzle of olive oil and juice of 1 lemon. Cook on high for 2 minutes then drizzle over scallops and asparagus.
I just want to say that you NEED to make this breakfast. Whether you are doing the January Whole30 or not, this Egg Scramble is amazing. Sundays are usually my days to sleep in…until 630am (we are usually up at 5am!) My favorite thing on weekends is to make fresh Bulletproof coffee and either lay in bed and read or sit on the couch and catch up on “my stories” as Eli likes to call them.
Usually Eli will want breakfast earlier than I do, so that gives me a little time to see what’s in the fridge, and what I’m able to come up with for a delicious brunch. There are what I call my staples, that I always keep stocked in our fridge. Vital Farms Eggs are always on hand as well as red and yellow onions, arugula, and some sort of chicken or pork sausage that are usually Whole30 compliant. I start with my base and see what kind of vegetables I have, then I move on to protein, fats, and starches.
Over the last few years, I’ve really learned how to cook vegetables so that they actually taste delicious….weird I know! I used to HATE vegetables…until I learned how to enhance the flavors with spices. Spices can transform any dish you make. That is what I LOVE about cooking. I can use the same ingredients three nights in a row and change up my spices and you would think I went grocery shopping every day in order to make each meal special-how amazing is that!
Sauteing galric in a little olive oil and adding some red onion is that base for this dish. Once that starts cooking, Hugo’s little snort face finds his way over to stand under me while I’m cooking on the stove with Eli not far behind asking how much longer until brunch is ready.
Once the onions are sweating, add the meat, some garlic powder, salt, and peppers. After watching Teri from @NOCRUMBSLEFT scramble her eggs in her VITAMIX, that is the only way I will prep my eggs now. They come out sooooo light and fluffy there is just absolutely nothing better. Once the eggs and sausage are cooked. I plate some argula and ta-da! That’s it. Super easy, clean, and delicious.
Whole30 Egg Scramble
- 2 Eggs
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 cup of arugula
- 1 clove of garlic
- garlic powder
- 1 sweet potato
- Heat your cast iron skillet to medium heat. Add 2 table spooks of avocado oil. And ground sausage and brown for 5-8 minutes depending how crispy you like it.
- Add 2 table spoons of olive oil. Saute garlic and onions with sausage.
- chop of 1 sweet potato into little chunks. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and cook on medium high heat for 15 minutes or until soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- In a non stick skillet add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil. Crack two eggs in your Vitamix or blender. Blend on high for a minute. Pour eggs into skillet cook on low heat until they are the consistency that you like.
- In a bowl, put arugula on the bottom, top with eggs, sausage and sweet potatoes.